Beginning June 1, 2020, Mercedes-Benz Driving Academy resumed in-car driving lessons under strict COVID-19 guidelines. Since two-metre social distancing is not possible in a driving school car, we have developed strict safety protocols for the delivery of lessons. Please read the important information below before scheduling your lessons.
- Safety preparation:
- Droplet shield is installed between Coach and Student
- Only the Driving Coach and one student will be present inside the car. There will be no parent (or training) ride-alongs during this time.
- Masks worn by Coach and Student – Students to supply their own mask, or masks will be provided
- Coach and Student hand wash with sanitizer at beginning of lesson and at any time when necessary during lesson.
- All control surfaces, door panels, arm rests, handles, etc. disinfected between lessons
- No sharing of devices, paperwork or other items during lesson.
- Zero-tolerance policy re symptoms of illness – if health (Coach or Student) is in question, lesson will not proceed
- Pre-lesson questionnaire responses are recorded and filed by Coach prior to each lesson.
- Pre-Lesson Safety Questionnaire:
- Student to supply their own pen to limit shared items (coach can supply a pen if necessary, which will be wiped down post-lesson)
- Are you feeling well with no symptoms of illness (COVID or otherwise)?
- Do you have a fever?
- Have you been in contact with anyone who may have contracted COVID-19?
- Have you travelled outside Canada with the last 14 days?
- Do you have a mask to wear during your lesson? Your coach will provide a mask if you do not have one.
- Do you understand that participating in a driving lesson will put you inside of the two-metre social distancing recommendation?
- Are you aware that you may choose to postpone your driving lesson if you have any concerns about participating today?
- The Coach will ask the student if they agree with the following statement and record their response: “I have answered the questions truthfully and to the best of my knowledge there is no reason why I should not participate in a driving lesson today. I understand I am able to reschedule this lesson if I choose to do so.”
- The questionnaire will be held on file as record of the student’s participation in the lesson.
- Scheduling Driving Lessons
- WorkSafe BC states that no worker is required to work if they feel it is unsafe to do so. No employer has the right to force staff to work during stage two of the COVID-19 return to work period. There may be some coaches who decide to delay their return to after the June 1st resumption date. Because of this, there may be instances where students are paired with different coaches. We appreciate your understanding of this situation and we will work with all students to schedule lessons as the times are available. Please expect there may be delays while we accommodate the backlog of lessons.
- If not contacted by your coach, students who would like to resume driving lessons should initially contact the office at 604-460-5004 to get information on which coaches and lesson times available.
- To assist parents who are eager to get supervised driving practice started, we have posted some great tips and lesson plans on our website. There is plenty of information there that will help you be safe and more effective during your in-car practice sessions.
Are you a new driver?
Get in touch to find out about our Programs and Lesson packages.Contact Us