June 1, 2020 – Initial Resumption of In-Car Driving Lesson Services
We hope you and your families have been able to stay safe and healthy during these stressful times. Thank you for your patience as we all have waited for the right time to welcome our students back into our classrooms and vehicles. We’re confident at this stage of the pandemic we have been able to manage risks to a safe level and are properly prepared to resume in-car driving lessons.
Beginning June 1, 2020, Mercedes-Benz Driving Academy will resume in-car driving lessons under strict Stage 2 COVID-19 guidelines. Since two-metre social distancing is not possible in a driving school car, we have developed strict safety protocols for the delivery of lessons. Students participate in lessons at their discretion – those with concerns about proximity within two metres may decide to delay resumption of lessons. Please read the important information below before scheduling your lessons.
- Safety preparation:
- Droplet shield installed between Coach and Student
- Only the Driving Coach and one student will be present inside the car. There will be no parent (or training) ride-alongs during this time.
- Masks worn by Coach and Student – Students to supply their own mask
- Coach and Student hand wash with sanitizer at beginning of lesson and at any time when necessary during lesson.
- All control surfaces, door panels, arm rests, handles, etc. disinfected between lessons
- No sharing of devices, paperwork or other items during lesson.
- Zero-tolerance policy re symptoms of illness – if health (Coach or Student) is in question, lesson will not proceed
- Pre-lesson questionnaire responses are recorded and filed by Coach prior to each lesson.
- Pre-Lesson Safety Questionnaire:
- Student to supply their own pen to limit shared items (coach can supply a pen if necessary, which will be wiped down post-lesson)
- Are you feeling well with no symptoms of illness (COVID or otherwise)?
- Do you have a fever?
- Have you been in contact with anyone who may have contracted COVID-19?
- Have you travelled outside Canada with the last 14 days?
- Do you have a mask to wear during your lesson? Your coach will provide a mask if you do not have one.
- Do you understand that participating in a driving lesson will put you inside of the two-metre social distancing recommendation?
- Are you aware that you may choose to postpone your driving lesson if you have any concerns about participating today?
- The Coach will ask the student if they agree with the following statement and record their response: “I have answered the questions truthfully and to the best of my knowledge there is no reason why I should not participate in a driving lesson today. I understand I am able to reschedule this lesson if I choose to do so.”
- The questionnaire will be held on file as record of the student’s participation in the lesson.
- Scheduling Driving Lessons
- WorkSafe BC states that no worker is required to work if they feel it is unsafe to do so. No employer has the right to force staff to work during stage two of the COVID-19 return to work period. There may be some coaches who decide to delay their return to after the June 1st resumption date. Because of this, there may be instances where students are paired with different coaches. We appreciate your understanding of this situation and we will work with all students to schedule lessons as the times are available. Please expect there may be delays while we accommodate the backlog of lessons.
- If not contacted by your coach, students who would like to resume driving lessons should initially contact the office at 604-460-5004 to get information on which coaches and lesson times available.
- To assist parents who are eager to get supervised driving practice started, we have posted some great tips and lesson plans on our website. There is plenty of information there that will help you be safe and more effective during your in-car practice sessions.
- ICBC Questions:
- At this time, ICBC has not indicated when Road Test Examinations will resume. We are in regular communication with ICBC and we will email our students and parents with information as it becomes available. We’ll also post information we receive on our website: www.mercedesbenzdrivingacademy.ca
- GLP students will be interested in extensions of ICBC’s 365-day GLP course completion requirement. We have no new information on what their policy will be, however we believe extensions are likely. Any updates will also be posted on our website.
- ICBC is not currently conducting knowledge tests for new Class 7 Learner’s licenses. If you have an L license that is about expire, you can make an appointment to re-take the knowledge test to renew your L license. Call ICBC at 1-800-950-1498 to find out which Driver Services Centres offer this service and to make an appointment.
Are you a new driver?
Get in touch to find out about our Programs and Lesson packages.Contact Us